Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Top 10 Comedies of the 1970s

Who doesn't love to laugh? I know I do. I grew up during in a great time, when the television was filled daily with Three Stooges and Laurel & Hardy shorts, and there was always a Marx Brothers or W.C. Fields film playing somewhere. And let's not forget Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis, Ma & Pa Kettle and, of course, Francis The Talking Mule. Comedy was king. As a youth, I started collecting silent comedies on Super 8mm and discovered the comic trinity of Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd.

The biggest problem with making a list of comedies is deciding what actually is a comedy. How many laughs are needed to turn a drama into a comedy? What about funny musicals? Or funny horror films? It calls for some very subjective judgments.

I am not going to handcuff myself with as many self-imposed restrictions as I did when I made my lists of horror films. My decision concerning what is a comedy will be decided on the basis of the individual film. However, I will try to restrain myself from flooding a decade with the work of a single comic visionary. For example, I am not going to put six Marx Brothers films on my Top 10 Comedies of the 1930s list. I will only pick one of their films as representative of their work during the period.

For example, on this list of films from the 1970s, I have only included one film from Mel Brooks, one film from Woody Allen and one film from Monty Python. That said, I do include two films directed by Arthur Hiller, because I do not believe Hiller was the comic visionary behind the those films. I will make those kinds of judgments throughout the process.

Also, I am going to try to rate the films in the context of their times. Therefore, expect to see some films on the lists which would be considered politically incorrect today. I will, however, discuss the controversy concerning some of those films when it seems appropriate.

Enough small talk.  Here's my list:

(10). THE IN-LAWS, 1979
Directed by  Arthur Hiller
Written by Andrew Bergman

Father of the bride, Alan Arkin, a mild-mannered dentist, tries to bond with the father of the groom Peter Falk, who might be a spy.

Peter Falk and Alan Arkin made a wonderful team, and this zany film was a perfect vehicle for them. Falk plays it straight as Arkin becomes increasingly distraught as he finds himself dragged into a series of international adventures. Although it was remade in 2003 with Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks in the leads, this film remains criminally under seen and neglected.



(9). THE HOSPITAL, 1971
Directed by Arthur Hiller
Written by Paddy Chayefsky

George S. Scott plays the chief of medicine at a major New York City hospital dealing with a dissolving marriage, impotence, medical ineptitude, urban unrest and murder.

This very dark satire of (then) modern medicine was written by one of my screenwriting heroes Paddy Chayefsky. A number of screenwriters have won three Academy Awards, but he is only one who did it with three solo credits. His first Oscar came for Marty, which dealt with the milieu of the working class as personified by Ernest Borgnine (who also won an Oscar.) In this film, and his subsequent Oscar-winner Network, Chayefsky deals with the problems of articulate, educated professionals. There are some truly great monologues in this film. George C. Scott was hot at the time, coming to this film after his amazing turn in Patton. Ultimately, I believe film goes off the rails before it ends, but it is still a great ride.

Sadly, this film is little seen or discussed today. I suspect this is because its reputation was overwhelmed by Chayefsky's eerily prescient follow-up Network.



Directed by Hal Needham

A hotshot trucker and his partner take a bet to transport some illegal alcohol from Texas to Georgia, but complications arise when a runaway bride and a determined sheriff enter the mix.

Action film or Comedy? I say both. This is a very amiable film that catches Burt Reynolds at his most charismatic and Sally Fields at her most adorable. (I like her, I really like her.) Plus, we get Jackie Gleason saying things he could never say to Alice back in the day. Kudos to Reynolds for giving Needham, his long time stunt co-ordinator, a chance to develop and helm this picture. In addition to comedy, the film also features a number of great car stunts. Generally speaking, the 70s were a dark decade for cinema. This film shows the sunnier side, and certainly sold a lot of Pontiac Trans Ams. I know I wanted one. (I did buy a Pontiac, but it was Tempest.)




(7). SLAP SHOT, 1977
Directed by George Roy Hill
Screenplay by Nancy Dowd

A coach of a failing minor league hockey team, Paul Newman, turns to violence on the ice to fire up  support for the team.

This is my favorite sports comedy of all time, beating out notables such as The Bad News BearsTin Cup,  Happy Gilmore and Major League. (I do not consider Burt Reynolds version of The Longest Yard a comedy. The less said of the Adam Sandler version, the better.) The insightful script by Nancy Dowd reflects the experiences of her hockey playing brother, who also plays Ogilthorpe in this film. In addition to the comedy, the film also shows surprising depth and also works as a drama. This film also made my list of Seven Guy Films, which women tend not to enjoy. That was evidenced by our episode of the Yippee Ki Yay Mother Podcast where we discuss the film.

Here's the podcast:



Here's the trailer:



(6). THE JERK, 1979
Directed by Carl Reiner
Screenplay by Steve Martin & Carl Gottlieb & Michael Elias

Stand-up Steve Martin plays a sheltered idiot trying to make his way in the world.

This is a goofy, juvenile comedy that captured the kind of humor that made Steve Martin the top stand-up comedian of his time. His comedy and films would mature over the years, but this is the one that made him a movie star. I remember laughing all the way through this film when it was first released. I have subsequently stayed away from it. I am afraid I would sit slack-jawed and silent if I watched it now. I prefer my fond memories of it.

Nowadays, the most interesting thing about this film to me is that one of the screenwriters, Carl Gottlieb, also wrote the script for Jaws!  Talk about range!



(5). BEING THERE, 1979
Directed by Hal Ashby
Script by Jerzy Kosinski, based on his novel

A illiterate, simple-minded gardener named Chance (Peter Sellers) rises to level presidential advisor after being mistaken for a rich man by a dying billionaire.

This is a simple, one-joke satire that keeps upping the stakes to absurd levels. Peter Sellers plays a retarded man raises in isolation by a wealthy man in Washington, DC,  to tend his garden. When the old man dies, Chance, dressed in the clothes of his former employer, is forced onto the streets. Accidentally hit by a limousine, Chance is taken into the home of a dying billionaire. Once in the corridors of power, the amiable Chance becomes a blank canvas against which people project their own desires and expectations. The success of the film can be credited to an amazing performance by Peter Sellers, in his second to last film.



(4). ANNIE HALL, 1977
Directed by Woody Allen
Screenplay by Woody Allen & Marshall Brickman

Woody Allen plays a comedian who reminisces about his relationship with the titular character, played by Diane Keaton.

The 1970s was the height of accused child molester Woody Allen's funny period.  I had to choose between this film and SleeperBananasPlay It Again, Sam, and the creepy Manhattan. During the 70s themselves, I probably would have picked the time travel comedy Sleeper as my favorite, but I have grown to appreciate Annie Hall as Allen's comedy masterpiece. It is not my favorite of his films, however. That would be Crimes and Misdemeanors.

BTW, with the swirling accusations of pedophilia, I am essentially boycotting Allen. I will watch his films if they come to me in the form of Academy screeners, but I will not see his films in theaters anymore or purchase Blu-Rays or DVDs. #MeToo, baby.

However, I can't deny he made some very funny films. Hence his presence on the list.



(3). ANIMAL HOUSE, 1978
Directed by John Landis

The dean of Faber College tries to shut down the rowdiest fraternity on campus in this landmark comedy.

This raunchy film is the granddaddy of the slobs versus snobs school of comedy. It was a monster hit, which made a SNL star John Belushi a movie star. (He's top-billed, but his character does little to resolve the plot. He functions in essentially the same capacity as Harpo does in a Marx Brothers film.) It is filled with classic bits, quotable lines and classic old school rock 'n' roll. Some people consider this film the defining point between "old" and "new" comedy.

Nowadays, critics and activists complain that this is the film that put the college "rape culture" on the map. It's hard to argue against that analysis. The film definitely portrays sexual mores which were questionable at the time, and extremely politically incorrect today. I can only say one thing in defense of the film: It's funny, and that's all that's required in the genre.

Still, I wouldn't expect a remake anytime soon....




(2). LIFE OF BRIAN, 1979
Directed by Terry Jones
Screenplay by Graham Chapman & John Cleese & Terry Gilliam,

A young Jewish man is mistaken for the messiah in this spoof of Biblical times.

As a Christian, I was never offended by this film. I always found it funny, and I always feel like I understand Latin better after I watch it.

It was very difficult choosing between this film and 1975's Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Both films are hilarious and filled with great bits and gags, but Life of Brian works better as a narrative. Holy Gail kind of just peters out. (Truth be told, The Meaning of Life is my favorite Monty Python film, but we'll get to that in the 1980s.)

Kudos to Beatle George Harrison who provided the funding when the normal backers chickened out.



(1). BLAZING SADDLES, 1974
Directed by Mel Brooks
Screenplay by Mel Brooks & Norman Steinberg & 
Story by Andrew Bergman

A corrupt politician, hoping to get some land needed for a railroad, assigns an African-American sheriff to a racist small town in hope of driving off the inhabitants.

The 1970s were a hot decade for Mel Brooks. This was his funniest period, and I had a hard time choosing between this film and Young Frankenstein, which was also released in 1974. Both of these films are excellent, but I found this western spoof, and examination of racism, funnier.  That said, I find Young Frankenstein funnier than many of the other films on this list, but I can't do a Top 10 list with three Mel Brooks films, three Woody Allen films and two Monty Python films.

I saw this film on its initial release at my neighborhood theater The Arcade. A friend of mine's mother took us both to see it. She was absolutely mortified and squirmed during all of the sexual humor. She shouldn't have worried. Most of it flew right over my youthful head. I only suspected that it was dirty because of her reaction.

I have a 16mm print of the film and I used to show it in my backyard on the occasional summer evening. However, I have decided to end that practice. I think some of the racial humor, as well-meaning as it was intended, doesn't always quite play to all audiences anymore. I agree with a comment I heard on the Movie Sign with the Mads podcast. They said this movie couldn't get made today, so thank God it got made when it did.

This was, after all, the film that opened the door to fart jokes.






Honorable Mention:

MASH, 1970. I run hot and cold with Altman. Sometimes I laugh with this film. Sometimes I find the humor too mean-spirited. THE KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE, 1977. This John Landis directed skit film introduced us to the Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker writing team. Often hilarious, but spotty. WHAT'S UP, DOC? 1972. I found this Peter Bogdanovich screwball comedy spoof hilarious at the time, but I have developed such a visceral dislike of Barbra Streisand that I'm afraid to watch it now. PINK FLAMINGOS, 1972. This film might represent the highpoint of the early career of Baltimore native auteur of bad taste John Waters. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, 1975. I saw midnight showings of this film dozens and dozens of times, but I can't give the filmmakers all of the credit for the comedy we found in it. MEATBALLS, 1979. Very enjoyable, but Murray and Reitman would surpass it in the next decade. It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter! THE BIG BUS, 1976. A funny disaster film spoof, but Airplane! would later eat its lunch. SILVER STREAK, 1976. The film takes its murder plot to seriously to be a comedy, but it was the first of many pairings of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. UP IN SMOKE, 1978. Cheech and Chong hit the big screen. If they didn't invent the stoner genre, they certainly took it higher!  THE ADVENTURE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES' SMARTER BROTHER, 1975. Gene Wilder wrote and directed this fun spoof.

Other Lists:



My novel Chapel Street is now available! You can currently buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & Noble.


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Watch the book trailer:

  

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Let's stay in touch:

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment