Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Box Office Revolution Interview


I was recently interviewed by Justin Geiger at Box Office Revolution.

The team at the website believes that Christian Entertainment has the ability to change the culture, and they want to draw attention entertainment worth the time of the Christian consumer. That is an admirable goal. They also are not afraid to call to task Christian entertainment that isn't worth the time of the Christian consumer. That's where I come in.


I became acquainted with the website as I sought out some reviews of my films. Their reviews of my PureFlix movies were often harsh although not always unfair. I have no problem with that. However, they did make two factual errors. First, they correctly guessed that Bobby Smyth was not the real name of the director of The Encounter: Paradise Lost. However, they incorrectly assumed it was directed by David A.R. White who had helmed the first one. That was not so. The film was directed by a DGA member who couldn't use his real name since it wasn't a union project. When I brought this fact to their attention, they corrected their review.


They also incorrectly said our television pilot Brother White was a rip-off of a faith-based film called The Rev. Granted, many PureFlix films are unabashed ripoffs of popular secular films. For example Hidden Secrets rips off The Big ChillWhat If?.... rips off The Family ManIn The Blink of an Eye rips off Groundhog Day and Marriage Retreat rips off Couples Retreat. None of this was coincidental. I would get a phone call or email from David A.R. White saying he wanted a Christian version of this or that film. That said, I assured Justin that I had never seen The Rev, and, to my knowledge, no one else on the team had either. We only ripped off more popular films. They also made that correction.

Since they are obviously sincere and conscientious, I was happy to do an interview with them when I was invited to do so.

You can read it here: Interview with Screenwriter Sean Paul Murphy

After that interview, you may want to check out my memoir, The Promise, or the Pros and Cons of Talking with God, which was published by TouchPoint Press. It is my true story of first faith and first love and how the two became almost fatally intertwined.



Here are some sample chapters of The Promise:

No comments:

Post a Comment