Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Thursday, December 5, 2019

WGAW Foreign Levies Program


You gotta love the Writers Guild of America, West. Through the Foreign Levies Program, they're looking out for all American screenwriters, whether or not they are members of the guild.

Here's how they describe the program:

The funds distributed through the foreign levies program are levies paid under foreign copyright law to the authors of audio-visual works. The WGAW collects and distributes these levies to writers of U.S. work under agreements with foreign collection societies in a number of countries. The levies are payable to the writers of such works, regardless of whether they are members of the WGAW or have worked under a WGAW agreement.

Cool, eh?

A couple of months ago I was surprised to get an email from a guild representative. He had been looking for me because they had money payable to me for my work on Marriage Retreat and Black Rider: Revelation Road. (Two films which, according to the production company, have not reached profitability yet.) I clicked on the attached link and found another one of my films, Sarah's Choice, listed. (Sarah's Choice is now in profit.)

As the statement below indicates, it was not a large amount of money, but it was certainly more welcome than a sharp stick in the eye. And, as of now, they only list three of my twelve produced features. Hopefully the others, some of which were much more popular, will show up soon.

This is another reason to love the guild. I am not currently a member, and I truly regret it. From first hand experience, I know how easy it is for screenwriters to fall victim to unscrupulous producers and dishonest production companies and distributors without the protection of the WGAW. Right now I have a film about to go into production early next year. If it doesn't fall apart, it will finally earn me my union card. 

I have no desire to make another feature outside of the protection of the guild.

Zero.

None.

I include a clause indicating that the film must be made in accordance with the WGAW's basic agreement in every option agreement I sign now. 

You should, too.

And, if you wrote an independent film that has been distributed abroad, you should check out this link: WGAW Foreign Levies Program

Who knows? You might find your film.


While you're waiting for your check, check out these sample chapters of my upcoming novel Chapel Street.


Chapters:
Prologue - My Mother
Chapter 1 - RestingPlace.com
Chapter 2 - Elisabetta
Chapter 3 - The Upload
Chapter 4 - The Kobayashi Maru
Chapter 5 - Gina
Chapter 6 - Tombstone Teri
Chapter 7 - The Holy Redeemer Lonely Hearts Club
Chapter 8 - A Mourner
Chapter 9 - War Is Declared
Chapter 10 - The Motorcycle
Chapter 11 - Suspended
Chapter 12 - The Harbor
Chapter 13 - Bad News Betty

Learn more about the book, click Here.

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment