Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Congratulations Fisher, or, It's A Small World After All



I know it's a little late, but I want to offer my congratulations to the mighty Fisher Stevens, the star of my first feature 21 Eyes, for winning an Academy Award with his documentary feature film The Cove.


Fisher is a talented producer as well as a talented actor.  He was very hot when we got him for 21 Eyes.  His New York based production company had just proven its mettle by producing the Oscar-bait In The Bedroom and the popular hit Swimfan.  According to our ultra-hip casting agent, Danny Roth, everybody in New York wanted to be in Fisher's game.  We were lucky to get him.

My director and co-writer, Lee Bonner, had previously directed Fisher on the television series Early Edition. When Fisher's name showed up as a casting possibility, we jumped at the chance to get him.  I'm grateful he did it.  Not only was 21 Eyes a small, low-budget film, it was also a very odd one.  I'd like to think that he did our film because he admired its narrative courage, but he probably did it because he had previously enjoyed working with Lee.  Or maybe it was because of the late UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold.  During our session, Fisher mentioned the weird coincidence that we made a reference to Dag Hammarskjold in our script, and that he was going to Canada to make a film that made another reference to Dag Hammarskjold.

Here's the funny thing.  Fisher ended up on the hit TV show Lost with his 21 Eyes co-star Rebecca Mader.  I hope they finally had the chance to really meet on that show.  They never met on 21 Eyes.  Their work was done at different times in different cities.

Even stranger, when having lunch with Rebecca St. James, star of Sarah's Choice, during a film festival in Boston, she mentioned that she had just worked with the illustrious Fisher Stevens.

Danny was right.  Everybody wants to be in Fisher's game!

I only have one regret.  When I was filling out my entry in my Oscar Pool, I had no idea Fisher was involved with The Cove.  Had I known, I would have voted for him.  As it was, I voted for the documentary about the GM plant closing.

Now I feel cheap and disloyal.

Sorry, Fisher.

I hope you let me back in your game one day!

(Dag Hammarskjold)
Follow me on Twitter:  SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment