Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Monday, September 18, 2017

"UNCLE FILMS" -- a guest blog with commentary

My previous blog about Seven Guy Films inspired my niece Marion Coe to share her own genre of films she calls "Uncle" movies.  I will let her define the genre and give her examples.  However, as one of her uncles, I will offer my opinion on the individual films.  Here she goes (with the assistance of her husband Josh):



Uncle Movies: A genre defined as a movie that the general uncle-figure likes. An uncle is someone who’s not your dad: he may be regarded as the “cool guy” who is ok to share with you his taste in low-brow comedy, or at least laugh at it around you, and is happy to corrupt you. Find one of these playing on basic cable, even if it’s already halfway through, and he’s happy. These movies were created in the VHS-era, between the late 1970s-mid 1990s. Although movies which fit the standards of the genre continue to be produced, there is a decline in popularity.

The movies generally encompass the misadventures of: Outsider white male losers, who are usually immature, and under-appreciated by the mainstream, their bosses, and women. Female characters, if they occur, are sex-objects, nagging wives, or bitches. Other themes include: Raunchy or low-brow humor; mainstream irreverence; “leaving a safe zone” in the military, or on camping, fishing, or road trips; ragtag groups of men; white-trash and dummies; slapstick; and the enemy is the “mainstream”, often manifested as preppies. They often but not always include the “Irishman and the Jew,” “Odd Couple,” and “Salt and Pepper” comedy tropes.

Proto-Uncle




Blazing Saddles (1974) I saw this film upon its initial release with a friend of mine and his mother. She squirmed in embarrassment throughout. I recently showed my 16mm print in my backyard one summer night, and I was the one squirming this time.  Not for our politically correct times.

Prime-Uncle Era:



Slapshot (1977)  Perhaps the best sports film ever made. I might have to write an appreciation.
Animal House (1978) Definitely the iconic comedy of its time, and the comedy works better than the plot.
The Jerk (1979) I remember loving this film upon its release. I don't think I would feel the same way now. It is best that I do not revisit it.
Meatballs (1979) A slight film with an amiable performance by Bill Murray.
The Villain (1979) Not familiar with it.



Caddyshack (1980) Every frame of Rodney Dangerfield in the film is worth watching.
Blues Brothers (1980) In the early 'eighties, my friends and I spoke in our own shorthand of movie quotes from Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes and this one. Now I find the film more interesting for the musical guests.
Airplane (1980) Come on, this is hilarious.
Porky’s (1981) Saw a sneak preview of this film on a double date. Our girlfriends were appalled and made us leave less than halfway through. My friend and I snuck back later to see it. Typical for the genre. A big hit at the time.
Cannonball Run (1981) Harmless and forgettable.

Stripes (1981) My favorite of the early Bill Murray films. Some great one-liners. Saw it repeatedly in the theater. I think it still holds up.
Strange Brew (1983) Never saw it.
National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983) I originally saw this back when I still liked Chevy Chase. I like it less now since I don't care for him.
Police Academy franchise (1984 – infinity) Upon this rock, Steve Guttenberg was built. The first one was okay, but the sequels....
Beverly Hills Cop (1984) This film and 48 Hours essentially defined the buddy cop film for the next fifteen years. I liked it, but I thought 48 Hours was better.



Revenge of the Nerds (1984)  Hey, what can I say? I identified with it.
Ghostbusters (1984) I saw this film with some folks from the Towson Film Lab. We were all bowled over by it. That said, it hasn't aged well. The special effects are hard to watch, and the humor rests mainly on some one-liners.  All of the sequels are skippable.
Top Secret! (1984) Not as good as Airplane! but it has its moments.
National Lampoon’s European Vacation (1985) Not fond of this one.
Better off Dead (1985) Early John Cusack. Liked The Sure Thing much better.
Spies Like Us (1985) I was pretty much through with Chevy Chase and John Landis by now.  As for Dan Aykroyd...  This is one of the films that hurried him toward supporting roles.  (You didn't mention Doctor Detroit or Nothing But Trouble, then again, who would ever recommend them?)



Back to School (1986) Pure Rodney Dangerfield. Still works. If I didn't show you this one, I failed as an uncle.
3 Amigos (1986) Stopped seeing Chevy Chase films in the theater by now.
Spaceballs (1987) The end of Mel Brooks. I bet this script read funny, but it did not play.
Lethal Weapon all (1987) A franchise that outlived its welcome. Liked the first one, but the quality of the sequels dropped off considerably. Wanna bet someone remakes it?
Ernest Goes to Camp (1987) No, no, no, no, no.



The Naked Gun (1988) Not as funny as Airplane! but funny nonetheless.  That was a simpler time, when we all still loved O.J.
The Great Outdoors (1988) Subpar John Hughes script. Forgettable.
Ernest Saves Christmas (1988) (See Ernest Goes To Camp.)
Uncle Buck (1989) The normally supporting John Candy gets the lead, but I found it disappointing, especially compared to Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Let it Ride (1989) Saw it in the theaters, but didn't think much of it.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989) The best of the Vacation sequels. Overlooked my distaste for Chevy Chase to see it. (Worst Chevy Chase film: Cops and Robertsons.)
Major League (1989) Shot in Baltimore. Had some laughs, but it was no Slap Shot. Have a hard time watching Charlie Sheen anymore.



Tremors (1990) Great horror comedy. I was very much in my Fred Ward period at the time. (We nearly got him for 21 Eyes.) I hope, as your uncle, I forced you to watch this one.
Kindergarten Cop (1990) I can remember the time when America was still buying into the whole Arnold Schwarzenegger thing. He could do it all. Action... Comedy... Politics?... But Last Action Hero was on the horizon....
Hudson Hawk (1991) A Bruce Willis ego trip.  Not a pretty sight.
The Last Boy Scout (1991) Saw it in the theaters. Had forgotten it by the time I got to my car.
Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) (See Ernest Goes To Camp.)
Encino Man (1992) This was the first film where I noticed Pauley Shore. Sadly, he would prove difficult to ignore in 1990s.
Captain Ron (1992) Liked it at the time.
Out on a Limb (1992) Didn't see this one.  I must have thought it was an adaptation of the Shirley MacLaine book.
Son in Law (1993) Yes, I paid to see it. It taught me a valuable lesson: Don't pay to see Pauley Shore films.



Dumb and Dumber (1994) Actually one of the funnier goofball films of the 1990s, but, as this list shows, it didn't have much competition.
In the Army Now (1994) Skipped it. Still haven't seen it.
Ace Ventura movies (1994-1995) By now, the whole Jim Carrey thing was wearing thin, but I still laughed at the first one.
Operation Dumbo Drop (1995) Didn't see it, but it was probably better than the Pauley Shore movies....
Major Payne (1995) Man, this list is making it looked like the 1990s sucked.
Billy Madison (1995) Okay, okay, I saw it.
Canadian Bacon (1995) Didn't see it. Proud of the fact.
Down Periscope (1996) Saw it, but I have no memory of it.
Bio-Dome (1996) The only reason I saw this was because I had a pass to a theater chain and I saw everything.
Happy Gilmore (1996) The pinnacle of Adam Sandler's career.  It was all downhill after this...
Rocket Man (1997) Remember when Hollywood tried to make a star out of Harlan Williams and America collectively said NO!


Neo-Uncle



The Big Lebowski (1999) I was actually cold to this film when I first saw it in the theaters. However, I have grown to appreciate it. I like it more each time I see it. Now I believe that the Dude truly abides...

Post-Uncle:


Deuce Bigelow Male Gigolo (1999) Rob Schneider tries to fill the slot left by Pauley Shore.
Joe Dirt (2001) David Spade is a supporting actor at best....
Superbad (2007) Seemed fresh and funny at the time.
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009) Didn't like it. Small screen success doesn't automatically transfer to the big screen.
Grown Ups (2010) Let me get this straight... Kevin James thought teaming up with Adam Sandler would boost his career..


The Ridiculous 6 (2015) The controversy about Native America stereotypes almost got me to watch this one, but fortunately I remembered it was an Adam Sandler movie.

Normally, I mention my book at the end of my blogs.  This time, however, you should feel free to check out Marion's book:  Tomas the Tarsier: An English and Indonesian Bilingual Book

Follow me on Twitter:  SeanPaulMurphy

No comments:

Post a Comment