Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Happy Death Day, Y'all!

Yours Truly, Post Death
On August 10, 2011, I went to the hospital for a routine biopsy procedure and died on the table.

Temporarily.

Fortunately, they brought me back.

My brush with death was a great experience that put my life in crystalline perspective. It allowed me to take a step back and look objectively at the foolishness and vanity of life. Not just life in general, my life in particular. I have often asked myself afterwards before starting an endeavor: "Did I really come back from the dead to do this?' The answer is often no. And I move on.

The experience was so profound I was tempted to change my birthday to August 10th, at least on Facebook. I refrained from doing so because my mother was not amused. (Amusing my mother is one of the endeavors I still consider worthwhile.)

Still, I usually acknowledge August 10th in some manner but this year the day got away from me. That shouldn't be surprising. I have been incredibly busy. I was decompressing from the short but glorious run of my rock musical based on the book Magic Under Glass, negotiating with an agent concerning my novel Chapel Street, preparing to teach a screenwriting course at my alma materand working on the pitch for a series for NetFlix. And let's not forget my daily work on the television shows 90 Day Fiance: Before The 90 Days and OutDaughtered.

It's not surprising my Death Day got lost in the shuffle. But I don't want to forget it, but for different reasons now. Originally, I used the occasion to remind myself to live every day to the fullest. Now I want to use it as an opportunity to be grateful for everything I have subsequently experienced. Had I died that day, I would have missed out on seven wonderful years with my lovely wife Debbie. Nor would I have had the opportunity to even meet my newest grandchildren. I cherish all of the time I have spent with my family and friends. I'm glad I had this time with them!

Do I want to make another movie? Sure. But I'm cool if it never happens. I've done my share.

Do I want to publish another book? Sure. But it won't break my heart if it doesn't happen. The pleasure comes in the writing, not the acknowledgement.

Am I going to allow myself to be stampeded by the political outrage of the day and view the people who disagree with me as enemies?

Not a chance.

Life's too short for hate, but let's hope there's always another day for kindness and grace.

Happy Belated Death Day, folks.

Me and my lovely wife*
Here's the blog I wrote soon after my near death experience:  Me, Post Death.

Things were touch and go health-wise after the incident, so I decided to make a short film for my funeral.  Here it is:


I also wrote a memoir that Sheri Williams at TouchPoint Press found worthy of publication.  You can find it Amazon here:


And here's a special chapter about my first brush with death:
Chapter 15 - Quarter To Midnight

*photograph by Bryan Barnes.

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment