Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Monday, June 20, 2022

The Park Family Cemetery to be published!


I have the pleasure to announce that my short story The Park Family Cemetery has been accepted by TouchPoint Press for inclusion in their upcoming horror anthology Nightmares of Strangers (Vol. 2).

Here's the logline:

In The Park Family Cemetery, photographer Gary Sypniewski, a recovering drug addict, shoots graves for a genealogical website. Unfortunately, his addictive personality will not allow him to walk away when he is denied entrance to a beautiful but walled family cemetery in a crime-ridden neighborhood in Baltimore. Will his obsession cost him everything he has? Or give him everything he needs?

If you're surprised my new story is set in a cemetery, you obviously haven't been visiting this blog with any frequency!

The Park Family Cemetery is the first short story I have written since college. By the time I graduated, there was still a viable market for short stories in magazines and other publications. Writers could make a living writing short stories. However, the market place has sadly changed. That's a pity. With the shorter attention span of today's internet obsessed audiences, you'd think there would be a natural market for short stories. Then again, maybe there is.... 

I was inspired to write this short story by the work of other writers I have met online. People often ask me to read their screenplays and novels. Because of my schedule, I often have to refuse. However, I usually have time to read a five or ten page story. I was particularly impressed by Rich Hosek's podcast Bedtime Stories For Insomniacs featuring his short stories. Other talented writers, like Melissa R. Mendelson, also shared their work with me. They made me want to get in on the action.

I thought writing a short story would be a great challenge. I am now accustomed to working in longer formats. Did I still have the skill to tell a short, concise but compelling story? I wasn't sure. I had to try.

The inspiration for the story came while I was photographing graves in the Hebrew Orthodox Memorial Cemetery for the FindAGrave website. I was the only person in the cemetery. In fact, I had never seen another person in the cemetery during any of my numerous visits. Then the thought suddenly came to me: What would I do if I noticed a black clad mourner in one of my photographs when I got home? That thought really creeped me out.

That was all the idea I needed to get started. Sadly, I didn't even use it! Because of the time constraints of the format and the amount of time I needed to establish my character, I had to cut that scene out. However, the initial concept remained: A damaged person gets into deep supernatural trouble while photographing graves for a genealogical website. On the most fundamental level, that's essentially the same plot as my novel Chapel Street. This story would have the added bonus of being the second entry in my "Resting Place" universe.

One thing was certain: I didn't expect the story to get published. I knew my publisher had a horror anthology in the works, but I didn't think I'd have a chance against the more experienced short story writers. I thought, at most, I would read it myself and build a YouTube video around it. Fortunately, I got accepted!

I want to thank Publisher Sheri Williams and Deputy Publisher Ashley Carlson and the good folks at TouchPoint Press for accepting my story! I am also looking forward to working with Associate Editor Liam Lassiter to create the final version.

Most importantly, I can't wait for the rest of you to read it!


 

Here's a link to my novel Chapel Street, the first story in my Resting Place universe:

 

Here's a link to my memoir, The Promise, or the Pros and Cons of Talking with God, also published by TouchPoint Press:


Other short writings:

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment