Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Say Goodnight Kevin Interview


I've been following Kevin McCreary for a long time. He is a YouTuber and podcaster specializing in faith-based films. He calls himself the accountability partner that no one asked for. That's a pretty accurate description of what he does. He often mercilessly and hilariously critiques faith-based films, but not out of hatred. No. He does what he does because he wants to see the genre improve.

I first reached out to him on social media a couple of years ago when I felt he was being attacked unfairly over something he said. We have talked periodically over the years and I have always found him funny and earnest. An odd combination. If there was anyone who was going to ask me the kind of questions that would get me kicked out of the faith-based film business once and for all, it would be him. I welcomed the opportunity.

In theory, I was going to be the first guest on his podcast. We had a great talk about a year ago, but there were some technical issues on his side. Too bad. Fortunately, we finally re-recorded at a time when circumstances allowed me to be a little more open in my responses.

Here's the podcast:


Some of my colleagues might cynically say that it is easy for me to talk with Kevin because he hadn't trashed any of my films. No so. He doesn't have any critiques of my films on his YouTube channel,  but he took down one of the Revelation Road films recently in a special subscriber event. I didn't see it. I am too cheap to subscribe!

Kevin did, however, mock the trailer of my film Marriage Retreat. Some might question his taste in doing this video so soon after David A.R. White, one of the founders of PureFlix, and his wife Andrea Logan White publicly announced the end of their marriage. I am genuinely saddened by that news. Marriage can be very hard but divorce is an ugly family crushing event. There but for the grace of God go I. My heart goes out to Andrea and the kids. And yes, it might surprise some, but I even feel bad for David.

Bad taste or not, here it is:


Subscribe to Kevin's Youtube Channel Here.
Subscribe to his podcast Here.
Follow him on Twitter Here.

Be sure to check out my novel Chapel Street. It tells the story of a young man straddling the line between sanity and madness while battling a demonic entity that has driven his family members to suicide for generations. It was inspired by an actual haunting my family experienced.

You can buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & Noble.


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Watch the book trailer:

  

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:

The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 1, An Introduction
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 2, The House
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 3, This Is Us
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 4, Arrival
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 5, Methodology
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 6, Clara's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 7, Clara's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 8, My Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 9, My Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 10, My Tale, Pt. 3
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 11, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 12, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 13, John's Tale, Pt. 1 
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 14, John's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 15, Come Inside!
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 16, Marion's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 17, Marion's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 18, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 19, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 20, Lisa's Tale
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 21, Recap, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 22, Recap, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 23, Recap, Pt. 3

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sean!
    I enjoyed your podcast episode with SGK & have been reading your blog. Nice to get all these juicy behind the scenes confirmations regarding the inner workings and creative motivations over at Pure Flix. Years ago before putting two & two together my wife and I kept wondering how that one random blond dude kept getting so many leading roles in these odd films targetted at Christians. Anyway, other points of relateability are that I also had a (brief) experience with a dark entity in my home (longer story involving a long lost friend using one of those creepy boards where the thing moves around and spells stuff) & believe it or not I even had God bless me with a miracle snowstorm (for a scene in a no-budget Christian movie I was working on several years ago)! As I type this I'm downloading your episodes from the Ministry of Motiion Pictures Podcast and will listen to them today as I drive around on my pool service route. Thanks for all the entertainment and insight! Sincerely, Nate Sims

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Definitely a lot of relateability! Definitely keep away from those Ouija Boards. They are an invitation for any spiritual entity lingering around. I'm glad you liked the podcast and I hope you enjoy the Ministry of Motion Pictures one. Those aren't quite as dishy because I wasn't asked the same kind of questions, and because, at that time, I didn't want to go into too many details since I was likely to be called as a witness in the God's Not Dead lawsuit. Now that that has been settled, I feel freer to speak up.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I hope SGK gets around to doing that second interview with you. I also wish that the Breakfast Club version of the Encounter sequel had been made! A scientific proving of scripture would be great! Don't know if you got the email I sent to semurph@aol.com but I think Satan will eventually use technology to create an all-knowing AI version of God for humanity to worship. Have you heard of the 2045 movement? If not, check out 2045.com to get an idea of how the next generations will view eternity. The film version of Ready Player One takes place in 2045 and with the release of the new Oculus Quest 2 VR headset I believe there will soon be an influx of VR solutions to many of societies problems. ie: VR headsets for every school child so they can all plug in to the same classroom and receive the same exact education & also VR headsets for prisoners, homeless, refugees, the poor, etc so they can escape their dismal lives and improve mental health. Not bad ideas in the short term! Anyway, that's how I see things.

      Delete
    3. I don't think I got the email from you. Try again. Thanks

      Delete
    4. email resent to semurph@aol.com

      Delete
    5. I am sorry, but I did not see it. Please use "Say Goodnight Kevin" in the subject line.

      Delete
    6. Alright, another email has been sent to semurph@aol.com with Say Goodnight Kevin in the subject line.

      Delete