Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Chapel Street Review - WhereTheReaderGrows

Here's a review of my novel Chapel Street by Instagram and Goodreads horror reviewer Chandra Claypool.

View this post on Instagram

📖Chapel Street - Sean Paul Murphy ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (ty @touchpointpress for this #giftedbook 🖤) . . I've always felt that writers have a tendency to bring something true to themselves into their work... and nothing is more true than it is for this author. This book is loosely based on the author growing up in a haunted house while also living through suicides within his own family. This caught my attention right away and I couldn't wait to see how this was explored. The author brings us Rick Bakos, our MC, who has lived through a series of suicides within his family. Through his hobby of genealogy and updating his website of graves, he ends up meeting Betty Kostek, whose grave haunts him from the get go. From here we see the culmination of strange events that lead him to find odd coincidences and strange occurrences stemming from Chapel Street. Thank God (?) for Tombstone Teri, who curiously enough, has the same hobby as Rick. Perhaps their fateful meeting and joint venture will get them to the otherside... The first few chapters were a bit of a struggle to get through. I almost considered DNFing. But something compelled me to continue (was that you, Betty?!). And I'm truly glad that I did. Rick, the boring good guy, really worms his way into your heart and you're rooting for him throughout the read. I did find some lulls within the read but overall, the book just gets better and better as you go... and quite frankly I loved it when Rick lost it a bit every once in a while... 😉. I do wish that books wouldn't be compared to such big movies ... this one is "The Conjuring meets Hereditary". This brings big expectations from the reader that might not be met. Especially for two such big movies within the horror realm whether you loved or hated them. I can see where the comparison is but hate that I had that in the back of my head the whole time. This is fantastic read if you love a demonic storyline that spans generations. The gloomy, dark feels really resonate from these pages and I could absolutely see this adapted to film. I look forward to seeing what else the author brings us. Thx @marcyreads @escapereality4now for the #buddyread 😘

A post shared by Chandra (She/Her) (@wherethereadergrows) on

 

My novel Chapel Street is now available! You can currently buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & Noble.


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:

The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 1, An Introduction
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 2, The House
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 3, This Is Us
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 4, Arrival
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 5, Methodology
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 6, Clara's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 7, Clara's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 8, My Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 9, My Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 10, My Tale, Pt. 3
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 11, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 12, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 13, John's Tale, Pt. 1 
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 14, John's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 15, Come Inside!
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 16, Marion's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 17, Marion's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 18, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 19, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 20, Lisa's Tale
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 21, Recap, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 22, Recap, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 23, Recap, Pt. 3

Let's stay in touch:

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy 

No comments:

Post a Comment