Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Friday, January 15, 2021

Meeting the Love of My Life

Debbie and yours truly in Pisa

Twenty-one-years ago today, I first laid eyes on the love of my life: Deborah Lynn Crum. 

We met at a Friday Night Swing Dance at the Tall Cedars Hall on Taylor Avenue in Parkville, Maryland. I had been attending the dances for months. That night was Debbie's first appearance. She was supposed to go with a bunch of friends from Harbor Hospital where she worked, but, luckily for me, they all dropped out one by one. 

For me, it was love at first sight. She had a great smile, mesmerizing eyes and an obvious enthusiasm for life. And she looked absolutely stunning in a seductive black dress. I, on the other hand, was wearing tennis shoes. That should tell you everything you need to know. I shouldn't have had a shot at her, but something clicked. When she mentioned she was on a low-carb diet, I immediately invited her to the Bel-Loc dinner on Joppa Road for eggs. It was a great night. 

Debbie called me the next morning at nine a.m., to say she wanted to be friends. That might've the only option available. She already had two dates lined up with different guys that weekend. Still, I got to squeeze in a Sunday afternoon lunch in Little Italy. I managed to give her a little kiss when I dropped her off at home afterwards. Fortunately, nothing clicked with the other guys and by Wednesday I managed to convince her that I might have something more to offer than just friendship....

I knew I had to marry this girl. I planned to propose to her one evening in Italy near the Leaning Tower of Pisa, but she was too tired from traveling to leave the room. It was just as well. I didn't actually have the ring yet so it wouldn't have counted. 

The actual proposal

Debbie went ring shopping with me back in Baltimore, so I think she suspected a proposal would be coming soon. (After I asked for her hand from her father first, of course!) However, I made up for it by proposing unexpectedly at a pool party at the home of Melvin and Irene Keller. Why there? I had a feeling they'd have some champagne on hand and they did! 

We got married twice. Once in Las Vegas on September 30th, and again in Baltimore on October 7th. Why two weddings? Easy. We lost control of events. We couldn't quite decide whether to get married in Las Vegas or Baltimore. Our hand was forced when family and friends started making reservations in Las Vegas. However, we still wanted a more traditional wedding so arrangements were made at Stillmeadow Evangelical Free Church a week later. We doubled our pleasure and doubled our fun and doubled our wedding gifts, too!

Here's our Las Vegas Wedding:

 

 Here's our Baltimore Wedding:

Here's the Baltimore Reception:


Would I marry her again?  You betcha! Wanna know how important she is to me? I'm not even using this blog as opportunity to sell my book.

I couldn't ask for a better wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment