Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Saturday, August 10, 2024

TALES OF LOVE AND DEATH released

My new collection of songs Tales of Love and Death has just been released. It is available on streaming services everywhere.

My first two albums,  The Elusive Farm Girl and Breakup City, were designed to tell a continuous story over the course of fourteen songs. This album is different. This collection is not designed to tell a single story. However, I am using it as a platform for some of my story songs. I always loved a good story song, and I tried to tell a few of them here. I was aided in my mission by my wife Debbie. She had some stories to tell herself, and I helped her complete and realize them. I think the songs I wrote with her, Where The Sun Sets and New Year's Eve, are two of the best ones on the albums.

Yours Truly with Deborah

I hope you enjoy the songs. Once again, the lyrics are all original, but the artificial intelligence engine Udio provided the music. Debbie thinks our versions of our songs are better. Here they are:

Where The Sun Sets:

 

New Year's Eve:

 

Here are the official tracks from the album:

1). A MOMENT LOST FOREVER. I enjoy the company of women. Some of my closest friends and most trusted confidantes have been women. Therefore, I've spent a lot of time in the friendzone. I am generally happy in the friendzone. However, every once and a while you wondered what if....  I later discovered that some of my female friends felt the same way....  

 

2).  FINALLY MEETING.  This song is about meeting a sweet young lady I got to know online who flew to Baltimore to meet me in person. You'll hear more about her in an upcoming album.

3).  ROYSTON GIRL. This is a song about my first girlfriend which could have easily fit on my album Breakup City. However, the reggae genre makes the song feel happier and more upbeat than the lyrics would indicate.

 

4).  DRIFTING APART. This is my favorite rocker on the album. This is a song that would have fit easily on my The Elusive Farm Girl album but I saved it for this one.

 

5).  BRING BACK THE MUSIC. This song is a relatively straightforward plea for continued intimacy in a relationship.

 

6).  WHERE THE SUN SETS. My wife Deborah came home from work with some of the lyrics and the theme for this breakup song. I helped her complete the lyrics and worked on the music with her.  This is a favorite of mine.

 

7).  LITTLE GIRL BROKEN.  I usually write songs from the first person perspective. I stepped out of my comfort zone for this song. This is how I viewed a former girlfriend who experienced a lot of crushing trauma during her life. Sadly, I later met many women who had similar experiences. I dedicate this song to all of them. I think it might be the best song on the album. I hope to have an established artist record it one day.

 

 8). DEBORAH, OH DEBORAH. A love song to my wife and sometime songwriting partner.

 

9). SUPERNOVA BRIGHT. Another love song. I really enjoy this Udio version, but I think I like my original interpretation better. In my version, the verses are built around the D, D+, D6, D7 chords. I'm sure someone else used that progression at some time, but I never heard it.

 

10). THE GATES OF HEAVEN. This is another rare upbeat love song. I don't write many of them because I usually only write songs when I am depressed.

 

11).  WHAT IF?  This is another song about the lovely young lady who came to visit me in Baltimore. There was a rather large obstacle to us becoming romantically involved. This song has me musing what if....

 

12).  THE WASH OF TIME. I wrote this song about the inevitability of death after my wife received the call that her Uncle Sonny had died. The next day my wife and I recorded the original version of this song as a tribute to our lost relatives.  CLICK HERE to listen to that version.

 

13). NEW YEAR'S EVE. My wife's ex-husband died on New Year's Eve, inspiring her to write this song. Once again, she started it and I helped her finish it. I think it is one of the best songs on the album.

 

14). ONLY I SURVIVED.  I always loved a good sea epic, whether it be Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald or Crack The Sky's Sea Epic. I decided to do one by retelling Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Superficially, it might seem like I stepped out of my perspective for this song. However, the song is really about survivor guilt, and, after losing two siblings to suicide and an eight-year-old granddaughter, that is something I know quite a bit about. I always get emotional when I sing this song. When I sang my version, I had to record it twice because I started crying during the first take.

 

 I hope you enjoy the songs and the album. You can listen to Tales of Love and Death on these and other streaming services:

My Albums:


Be sure to check out my memoir The Promise, or the Pros and Cons of Talking with God, published by TouchPoint Press. It is my true story of first faith and first love and how the two became almost fatally intertwined.



Here are some sample chapters of The Promise:


Be sure to check out my novel Chapel Street. It tells the story of a young man straddling the line between sanity and madness while battling a demonic entity that has driven his family members to suicide for generations. It was inspired by an actual haunting my family experienced.

You can buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & Noble.


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Watch the book trailer:

  

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 1, An Introduction
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 2, The House
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 3, This Is Us
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 4, Arrival
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 5, Methodology
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 6, Clara's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 7, Clara's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 8, My Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 9, My Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 10, My Tale, Pt. 3
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 11, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 12, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 13, John's Tale, Pt. 1 
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 14, John's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 15, Come Inside!
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 16, Marion's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 17, Marion's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 18, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 19, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 20, Lisa's Tale
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 21, Recap, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 22, Recap, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 23, Recap, Pt. 3

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment