Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Sunday, May 17, 2020

In Memoriam: Fred Willard

Sean, Fred and Tim
I was saddened to hear about the death of Fred Willard. He was a great comic actor and a great guy, too. He possessed the kind face of a genial but slightly befuddled grandfather that hid a wildly absurdist mentality underneath. You never knew what he was going to say. I never saw him give a bad performance. He stole every scene he appeared in.

I had the honor to work with him on my faith-based comedy Holyman Undercover. In the film, Fred wonderfully played a gun-crazed television network executive.

Fred was the perfect choice for the role. However, he was not the first choice .

Before I go any further, let me explain how low budget films work. People are more likely to watch a movie if they recognize the names of the actors. That was particularly true of the faith-based films I made with PureFlix. The actual leads in those films tended to be actors recognized in the faith-based genre only, but had little to no mainstream appeal whatsoever. However, even fans of the faith-based genre preferred films with recognizable mainstream actors in them. Therefore, PureFlix would wisely pepper their films with recognizable names in the supporting roles for "box appeal."

As a screenwriter for such films, it was my job to create roles beefy enough to attract well-known actors, but small enough that all of their scenes could be shot in one day. Then we got the value of their names at the least possible expense. Ideally, the role would be one of an authority figure the hero would have to answer to three or four times throughout the course of the film. That way it looked like the name was in the entire film. The Fred Willard role was a textbook example of the craft.

As I said, Fred wasn't the first choice for the role. The first choice was actually Mr. Luke Skywalker himself: Mark Hamill. Someone had an "in" with him. At the time, he was mainly doing voice work, so he certainly seemed getable, if he liked the role. One of the producers was going to meet him for lunch. My partner Tim Ratajczak and I were instructed to rewrite the role to suit Hamill. The producer insisted that we add some Star Wars references. I advised against it. This was one of those periods when Hamill was reputedly very bitter about Star Wars, but we did as we were told. Hamill was not amused.

Next in line was Joe Pesci, another fine actor whose work I admired.  Pesci seemed to be in a state of semi-retirement at the time. I don't know what our "in" was. However, we were instructed to tailor the role to him. I can't remember what we did, but Pesci didn't bite.

Next the role went out to Fred. My partner and I were very excited. We were both big fans and, although Fred wasn't as big a name as Hamill or Pesci, he certainly fit the role as originally conceived much, much better. When he said yes, we were delighted!

In addition to Fred, other talented comic supporting actors like Edie McClurg, of Ferris Bueller's Day Off fame, and Clint Howard, of Clint Howard fame, joined the cast. We even scored an extended cameo by John Schneider, of The Dukes of Hazard fame, who provided the much needed levity to my previous film Hidden Secrets. With those old comic hands aboard, I was certain we'd have a nice little comedy.

Although PureFlix didn't pay for our travel, Tim and I still flew out to Hollywood to visit the set. Naturally, we scheduled our visit so that we would be there when Fred Willard made his appearance. The production definitely gave him the star treatment. On the day of his shoot, everything was completely scheduled around him. We were kept informed of his impending arrival, and, once he arrived, where he was at all times. Then, when he finally arrived on the set for his first shot, Fred did something no other actor did on any of my films.

He shouted, "Are the writers here? Are the writers here?"

Tim and I had been watching quietly from the next room. We immediately rushed onto the set. I had no idea what to expect. Perhaps he had a problem with the script. Perhaps he wanted to add something...

When we arrived, he just said, "I just wanted to say I really enjoyed the script. It's very funny."

Wow. Fred Willard thought we were funny! Talk about praise from Caesar! That was a genuine career high!

Fred Willard wasn't the first actor to compliment our work. But none of others had called us out in front of the entire cast and crew to do so. Plus, he didn't have to do so. It didn't benefit him in the least. Tim and I weren't powerful figures in the industry. He wasn't going to make one additional penny by flattering us. He just enjoyed the script and he wanted everyone to know.

That's true professional generosity.

What a great freaking guy!

And he was great in the movie. From the day he signed, I was curious how Fred would handle the material. He had a reputation as a talented ad-libber. I expected that he would use the script only as a point of departure. However, he came prepared and stuck more or less to the script. He must have liked it!

I only wish we rewarded his efforts with a better movie.

In addition to co-writing the script, I also edited the film. I thought the initial edit was very funny. The other folks on the production team agreed, but there's a reason there aren't many faith-based comedies. Disaster befell the film when it began being shown to the "gatekeepers." The folks at PureFlix began cutting anything that the gatekeepers found objectionable. Then they preemptively started cutting anything that anyone anywhere at any time could possibly find objectionable. That didn't leave much!

Eventually, the edit was taken away from me, but the cutting continued in Hollywood. They started making arbitrary cuts to keep the pace fast. Ideally, you want a brisk pace in a comedy. However, in this case, they sometimes cut the punchlines of jokes while keeping the setup! I could have hardly been more disappointed with the final released version.  (Rumor has it that they will one day release "the funny version." I hope they will, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Fortunately, Fred Willard's scenes more or less survived the scissors. Not sure why, but it's probably because he was so good!

Rest in peace, Fred, and know that the laughter you brought this world will ring on long after you are gone.

And thanks for the kind words. They meant the world to me.

Here's Fred Willard talking about our film:


Be sure to check out my memoir The Promise, or the Pros and Cons of Talking with God, published by TouchPoint Press. It is my true story of first faith and first love and how the two became almost fatally intertwined.



Here are some sample chapters of The Promise:

Chapter 7 - Mission Accomplished
Chapter 15 - Quarter To Midnight

Be sure to check out my novel Chapel Street. It tells the story of a young man straddling the line between sanity and madness while battling a demonic entity that has driven his family members to suicide for generations. It was inspired by an actual haunting my family experienced.

You can buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & Noble.


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Watch the book trailer:

  

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 1, An Introduction
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 2, The House
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 3, This Is Us
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 4, Arrival
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 5, Methodology
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 6, Clara's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 7, Clara's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 8, My Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 9, My Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 10, My Tale, Pt. 3
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 11, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 12, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 13, John's Tale, Pt. 1 
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 14, John's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 15, Come Inside!
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 16, Marion's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 17, Marion's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 18, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 19, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 20, Lisa's Tale
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 21, Recap, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 22, Recap, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 23, Recap, Pt. 3

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

1 comment:

  1. When I heard the news my thoughts flew to you. I knew how much he and Holyman meant to you and I am so glad you had that time with him. I loved his ability to be funny without being, for lack of better words, dirty or objectionable, among the greats like Lucille Ball and Dick Van Dyke. True funny bones. Your story is the perfect example of the example he cast and I wish more people knew Hollywood has lots of great people from the big names in the credits right through the end of those credits. God bless Mr. Willard, no doubt heaven is having a great time today.

    ReplyDelete