Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Chapel Street, Prologue, read by Yours Truly


Ashley Carlson, the Senior Editor, Media Liaison, at TouchPoint Press, recently made a suggestion. In order to help alleviate the coronavirus isolation so many of our authors -- and our readers --were experiencing, she suggested that we should read a chapter from our books and post them online.  

There was talk of a series of Facebook Live events, and I hope some authors pull it off, but that's not my style. A live event would simply reveal why I chose to be a writer instead of an actor! I am not happy with my reading voice. In fact, on a number of occasions, I attempted to read chapters of my first book, The Promise, or the Pros and Cons of Talking with God, to post online, but I was never satisfied with the work and never released it. I wanted it to perfect. Error free. Not so this time.

The crisis created by the pandemic emphasized, to me, the foolishness to seek perfection -- whatever that might be. It's inherently artificial. I think what people want and need now is authenticity. It's time to let down the masks and tear down the walls. That's why I wanted this reading to be as down and dirty as possible. I have a nice camera and a nice microphone, but I decided to record everything on my iPhone. I wanted to make it as DIY as possible. I did, however, reserve the right to edit my read, but I didn't edit much. The final piece is ten minutes long. I probably only recorded about twelve minutes of media. This is pretty how it would sound if you came over to my house, put a gun to my head, and asked me to read a chapter of my book.

I hope you enjoy it.

Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:


Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment