Sean Paul Murphy, Writer

Sean Paul Murphy, Writer
Sean Paul Murphy, Storyteller

Saturday, January 20, 2024

First Five: Then The Judgement

Artwork by Belinda Butler

I am awfully quick to give advice about screenwriting in this blog. And some people actually accept it. The funny thing is that none of those people have ever read any of my scripts! They might have seen one of my films, but, with a finished film, it is difficult to say who contributed what. Therefore, to help people decide whether my writing advice is any good, I am posting some pages for your pleasure and perusal.

Inspired by the three-page challenges on the Scriptnotes podcast by John August and Craig Mazin, I have decided to post the opening of some of my scripts in a series of blogs. However, rather than three pages, I am going with five pages because I feel that will provide a more accurate appraisal of my writing and the stories. I am not posting the scripts of any of my produced films. That would be complicated legally since those scripts now belong to their respective production companies. Nor am I posting any script currently under option for the same reason. These scripts are either new or part of my back catalog. Some are ready to be pitched. Others need a little polishing. But you can read the first five pages now.

Then The Judgement is my third script, and the second one to receive major Hollywood attention. It was read at Creative Artists Agency. The assistant to a major agent wrote me back. He said they would be interested in handling it if I made three changes. This was my first experience with "changes."

At the same time, Stu Robinson at Robinson, Weintraub and Gross, later Paradigm, was reading my script The Long Drive.  He wanted to rep it. I told him of CAA's interest in this script. He asked to read it. I FedExed the script to him. (Remember when you had to print out scripts and FedEx them?) He read it the day it arrived and called me back. He said it was a good script. However, it was horror. He said if my first film was a horror film, I would be typecast as a horror writer. He said if The Long Drive got produced, I would be able to write anything.

I ghosted the CAA offer and went with Stu with The Long Drive. I understood his logic, but it was probably just foolish pride. I didn't want to make the changes CAA requested. Little did I realize that those would have been the fewest changes I would ever be requested to make!

In retrospect, I should have gone with CAA.

Then The Judgement is a high-concept horror film with a faith aspect. Here's the logline:  Weary vampire Richard Stevens, desperate for release from his immortal existence, collides with disillusioned TV evangelist Reverend William Renfrow and vengeful FBI Agent Robert Gray. As their paths intertwine in a deadly dance, each man pursues his own salvation, setting the stage for a climactic confrontation where fates are sealed in unexpected ways.

The script has been optioned but never produced. I have the rough draft of a sequel finished, and the third film of the trilogy in mind. I have taken the script off the market because I would like to execute it as a book first. That said, if you're interested, send me an email.

Here are the first five pages:






I hope you enjoyed those first five pages, If you're interested in reading more, send me an email.


My novel Chapel Street is now available! You can buy the Kindle and paperback at Amazon and the Nook, paperback and hardcover at Barnes & NobleChapel Street is the tale of a young man battling a demonic entity that has driven members of his family to suicide for generations. It was inspired by an actual haunting. 


Learn more about the book, click Here.

Listen to me read some chapters here:


Read about the true haunting that inspired the novel here:

The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 1, An Introduction
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 2, The House
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 3, This Is Us
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 4, Arrival
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 5, Methodology
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 6, Clara's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 7, Clara's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 8, My Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 9, My Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 10, My Tale, Pt. 3
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 11, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 12, Natalia's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 13, John's Tale, Pt. 1 
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 14, John's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 15, Come Inside!
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 16, Marion's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 17, Marion's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 18, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 19, Jeanne's Tale, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 20, Lisa's Tale
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 21, Recap, Pt. 1
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 22, Recap, Pt. 2
The Haunting of 21 St. Helens Avenue, Part 23, Recap, Pt. 3

Let's stay in touch:

Follow me on Twitter: SeanPaulMurphy
Follow me on Facebook: Sean Paul Murphy
Follow me on Instagram: Sean Paul Murphy
Subscribe on YouTube: Sean Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment